Thursday, August 22, 2013

What is an American?

I've never felt more American until I came to Ghana. We have a way of life that is unique to the world;  that is in a way held to a superior standard. I don't know exactly how I feel about that.

As we landed in Accra, Ghana, I could not help but think that if my ancestors did indeed come from Ghana, we, in a sense, have traveled the same distance, but in very different circumstances. Here I was thinking about how long the 11 hour flight was and how I wished I was in the business elite section to enjoy a nice bed,  while my ancestors did not have the privilege.

Never would I have thought of myself as having privilege. Coming from the U.S., being black was far from being privileged. To think that my being "American" could bring me privilege is unbelievable.

When I applied for my visa to Ghana, there was a box for "Nationality" that I had to fill in. I asked the Ghanian worker, "what do I put for nationality?" I wanted to put African American, but it didn't seem right, because that identity is a race, right? She said, "You are American, so you put American!" Hmm, for the first time, me being American was more important than me being black.

It's challenging to put all of this into perspective and then into words. Can feelings and emotions truly be transposed into words that will accurately depict them?

When I asked the Ghanian worker about my nationality, she looked at me with a blank face, but I saw pity in her eyes - pity that I was disconnected and confused about my own identity.


All of my life, identities have been formed and placed on me. Now, it is time for me to shape my own identity and be responsible for learning about my own history, and taking charge of my future!


Let's begin now...

Written on July 22, 2013

1 comment: