Friday, August 30, 2013

God is Everywhere

"God, thank you for traveling mercies", this prayer I often heard my mother say before she pulled out of our garage in Atlanta, Georgia. Getting into my aunt's car, after closing the gate that leads to her and my grandmother's house in Queens, New York, I close the door and put on my seatbelt to hear the same prayer, "Lord thank you for traveling mercies, amen", under my aunt's breath.

While in college, in Red Hook, New York, I unlock my car, 'Honda Babi', get inside, lock the doors, and put on my seatbelt. I start the engine, and before putting the car in drive whispers, "Thank you Lord for traveling mercies."

While boarding the plane, I look at my boarding pass. 'To Accra, Ghana', it reads. I smile inside, "Am I really going to Ghana?!". I look for my seat number on the ticket as I proceed to walk down the aisles of the plane. After finding my seat, I put my carry on bag in the overhead and fasten my seatbelt. After everyone boards, the luggage is put on the plane, and everything is in place, I whisper silently to myself while looking out of the window, "Thank you Lord for traveling mercies. Thank you that I will land safely in Ghana. Thank you for guiding the pilot's hands and being his eyes while in the air. Thank you."

God is everywhere. Since being a Christian, this is something that I've known. However, I was able to experience this and come to a complete understanding of it while in Ghana. We prayed together, at times in English and in other times not - praying to one God - the same God. As Bishop Jacob Ayeebo prayed in his native tongue, I thought to myself, "Oh, God I forgot that you're multi-lingual". I couldn't understand Bishop Ayeebo, but I knew that He could. God traveled with me, He said that He would never leave me nor forsake me...He's known for keeping His promises.

While on the trip, when things seemed like they would go wrong, I prayed, "Thank you Lord for your grace and for favor." I know what to do when things go wrong. Don't worry, don't complain or murmur, and don't speak negativity, but pray. Pray for wisdom, pray for guidance, and thank God for it all. Thank God for it already being done. God deserves all of the glory, because He's the reason for it all. Each day, I believe that He is leading me and guiding me in His perfect will. Thank Lord, Amen.


Written on July 24, 2013

Photo Credit: heartofthematteronline.com

1 comment:

  1. :) My mommy gave me an angel when I went to Germany, and I take it with me every time I travel to never forget these things.

    ReplyDelete